We resolve U.S. tax issues for those with financial or family connections abroad, including Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. If you have recently been contacted by your bank about the need to file a return with the IRS, we can help.

Tax Planning

Tax planning includes a review of whether a green card holder should pursue U.S. citizenship, under what circumstances a U.S. citizen should abandon citizenship, preventing “exit tax” when leaving the United States, and avoiding double taxation.

  • Foreign tax credits vs. foreign earned income exclusion
  • Interpreting double taxation treaties
  • Utilizing totalization agreements

Tax Compliance

Tax compliance means to do what the IRS wants you to do, whether it is filing tax returns or reporting foreign (i.e. non-U.S.) bank accounts and other assets. If the IRS catches omissions before you come forth, those omissions can become extremely expensive, so it is important to know about the amnesty programs that are available.

  • Meeting documentation requirements for foreign assets
  • Delinquent returns and Reports of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBARs)
  • Streamlined procedure
  • Relief procedure
  • Other, less formalized approaches of damage control

U.S. Tax Return Preparation

Simple returns are best handled by a competent local CPA or even with self-help software. When things get more complex, however, especially if international issues are involved, it can quickly become too complicated for the taxpayer or for a professional who does not specialize in international issues. The consequences can be costly.

  • Thorough review of pertinent information
  • Swift handling of federal and state tax returns, individual and corporate
  • Special attention to international issues

Communication with the IRS & Attorneys

Most taxpayers are uncomfortable dealing directly with the IRS. Many tax professionals in the United States, on the other hand, find it cumbersome to communicate with German-speaking colleagues whose English is not very good, or to decipher German-language documents, including tax returns. Another perceived obstacle is the location of your tax professional. These problems go away if you work with Hirsch Tax Law.

Typical situations include:

  • Couples where one person was born abroad and the other in the United States
  • Individuals or couples who came from another country, hold green cards, and now have a successful career in the U.S.
  • Executives of foreign companies who are working at a U.S. sister company
  • “Accidental Americans”: Those who were born in the U.S. but moved to another country as infants, or whose citizenship is based on a U.S. parent but who have lived all of their lives outside the U.S.
  • People who are planning to move from the U.S. to another country, or vice versa
  • Those who live abroad and have been contacted by their bank about their U.S. citizenship​

Managing all communications and negotiations with U.S. tax authorities

Coordinating with German, Austrian, Swiss, or other attorneys outside the United States in their dealings with authorities in those countries.

Being available online at any time, no matter where you are or we are at the time

© 2021 Law Offices of Georg F. Hirsch PLLC